If you’ve made a mistake on your tax return, don’t let it ruin your day. Making changes to your return after you’ve filed is no big deal and a lot easier than you may think. Here’s why you shouldn’t worry, and how and when to make the fix.  

Key Takeaways
  1. If you make a mistake, you can still change your tax returns.
  2. Wait to receive a Notice of Assessment first, before making changes.
  3. You can amend your returns dating back 10 years.

Faites vos impôts en toute confiance

Obtenez votre remboursement maximal, garanti*.

What happens if I make a mistake on my tax return?

If you made a mistake on your tax return, know that this is a common situation. 

Things like missing a receipt, overlooking a deduction, the late arrival of a tax slip, or entering a number incorrectly, can all be fixed. 

So don’t hit the panic button. You can amend your tax return with relative ease.

Can I adjust a tax return from previous years?

Absolutely. You can adjust multiple tax returns dating as far back as 10 years. This is why it’s important to make sure you hang on to old receipts, tax slips, and other documentation. When you have these, it’s never too late to make changes.

How do I make a change to my current tax return?

You’re probably keen to fix this ASAP. As a general rule, don’t file another return for that year. Instead, make sure you wait until you receive your Notice of Assessment (NOA) from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).

Once you’ve reviewed your NOA, there are 3 ways to make changes to your tax return.


Using ReFILE is one of the fastest, easiest, and most cost-effective ways to make changes to your previously filed tax return. Simply submit your adjustments using the same certified NETFILE software you used when you filed your tax return.

*TurboTax doesn’t have ReFILE services available for residents of Québec.

2. CRA My Account

Sign in to your CRA My Account and click where it says “Change my return”. After selecting the tax year and line that needs to be changed, you can input the correct information to submit your changes.

TIP: Once you submit an adjustment request online, you can’t submit another one until the first one has been finalized. You’re allowed to make multiple adjustments all on one request, so try to have all your information ready.

Restrictions: You can only use CRA My Account to submit certain types of changes to your tax return. For more details, visit the conditions and exclusions for using Change my return on the CRA website. 

3. Mail

To make changes to your tax return by mail, you’ll have to complete a T1 Adjustment Request and send it with all supporting documents for the change to your local tax centre

If you’re a resident of Québec, please visit the Revenu Québec website for detailed instructions on how to amend a tax return. 

What happens after I finish submitting my changes on my tax return?

Once your review is complete, you’ll receive one of the following from the CRA:

  • A Notice of Reassessment showing changes to your return.
  • A letter explaining why the changes you asked for weren’t applied.

Processing timelines differ depending on how you submit your changes and how complex your situation is.

Online (ReFILE & CRA My Account)2 weeks
Mail 8 weeks

If you don’t hear from the CRA right away, try not to lose any zzzzs. While tax season equals busy season, requests like yours are a priority, and the CRA is working on your behalf. Believe it or not, they want this thing resolved as much as you do.

No matter what stage of the tax filing journey you’re in, your friends at TurboTax are here to answer your questions and get you to the finish line. All you have to do is ask.

Learn how to amend your tax return.

At TurboTax, we can inform and guide you if you need to amend your tax returns. Our knowledge and experts are here for you to ensure you can confidently get the tax outcome you deserve. Making changes to your return doesn’t have to be complicated or stressful.